What's in this session?
- You have the team you need, you just don’t know it yet (12:55)
- Point #1: Recruit (21:21)
- The simple power of asking volunteers 1-to-1 (even in a larger church) (22:51)
- Point #2: Empower (35:08)
- Point #3: Release (41:09)
Show notes and resources
- Gateway Alliance Church
- Find Drake on Facebook
- Follow Drake On Twitter
- Drake’s Instagram
- Drake on YouTube
- Barna Group
3 Instant Takeaways
- Recruit. How do you recruit people? How about asking them. People are waiting to be asked. Really. Especially in our churches, people want to be on mission. Asking from stage doesn’t work, for whatever reason, but asking in the foyer does. One on one you can dispel people’s objections and calm any fears. Drake says 90% of the time you will get a yes if you show people where they fit.
- Empower. Once people are part of your team, don’t ask too much of them, but don’t ask too little either. Find out what kind of team members they are and support that. If they aren’t utilized and challenged enough, increase their responsibilities. If they are overtaxed and overscheduled, decrease their responsibilities.
- Release (and repeat). Let people flow in their gifts. Trust and let go –- even things that you love to do –- to show your confidence in your team. You have to let people make mistakes, learn from their mistakes, and have the freedom to take reasonable risks. As people and teams grow and move on, repeat the three steps above.
Free Bonus: Click here to download The Perfect Church Homepage Infographic – a complete visual breakdown of the essential elements that every church website homepage needs