What's in this session?
- Why social media is the most powerful evangelism tool (11:34)
- Why #bacon will always boost engagement (25:22)
- The BEST social platform for your church (26:06)
- Stop treating your website like social media (30:25)
- 2 mistakes churches are making on social media (33:02)
- Why you can’t just focus on the great commission (40:27)
- Removing fear from church communications (41:58)
Show notes and resources
- Follow Meredith on Twitter
- The Social Media Gospel by Meredith Gould
- Social Media Sunday
3 Instant Takeaways
- Meredith recommends churches get off Twitter. For your church institution, Twitter isn’t the best platform because most unchurched people aren’t following your church. (Individual pastors can have Twitter accounts.) Your church should focus on Facebook, and use Snapchat for young people.
- You don’t grow your church or create community through your website. An appealing website is important, but it’s only a Yellow Pages ad for visitors. What people want is directions, times, and an overview of your services. For engagement, use social media platforms. Pinpoint who you want to reach (no, it’s not everyone), find out which platforms they use and what they really need.
- Be not afraid. Meredith identifies two kinds of fear of technology: non-digital-natives who are afraid of what they don’t know, and traditionalists who fear technology is changing culture. Both fears are groundless. Those who don’t know can learn. And those who worry about culture can take comfort in the fact that digital media is providing consolation, community, outreach and information for people who can’t physically get to church.
Free Bonus: Click here to download The Complete Sermon Series Graphics Bundle – this free bonus includes 24 total graphics – including title graphics AND blank graphics so you can add your own text