What's in this session?
- EveryStudent.com sees more than 700 people per day say they’ve asked Jesus into their lives while on the site (14:15)
- The humble beginnings of a site that had 19 million unique visitors last year (15:06)
- How to use Google Ads to reach closed countries (21:20)
- How to disciple a person using online media (38:00)
- Taking the stress and worry out of evangelizing to your friend or family (42:07)
Show notes and resources
- EveryStudent.info (Resource site)
- StartingWithGod.com (Next steps)
- Is There a God? (article)
- The Ripple Effect (free e-book)
3 Instant Takeaways
- Marilyn found success using Google advertising. Marilyn says it’s a method that costs only 4 cents to reach one person. Google ads drive traffic to the site from all over the world, including places that aren’t heavily saturated with the gospel. Marilyn simply instructs Google to show the ad whenever anyone types in phrases such as “Does God exist?” or “Is God real?” which targets her ad to those who are seekers. Churches try so hard to find people who are looking for God, but the ads draw people who are already actively seeking.
- Other ways to draw traffic to a site include word-of-mouth, link sharing, video sharing, flyers and business cards. Google ads drive only 25% of the traffic to Marilyn’s site. There are other ways to lead people there. Once users get to the site, the articles are practical, and move step-by-step. For example, Muslims can start from a place of faith in God generally and move from there. Only 20% of the articles lead people right to a gospel presentation. The articles attempt to be engaging, and Marilyn doesn’t worry about keeping them short. Time-on-page statistics show that people who go on to register a decision for Christ linger on the site for 9-12 minutes.
- Move people forward after they say that they have received Christ. People who make a declaration that they have become a believer can sign up for a 7-email series that deepens their knowledge of the Christian life. Marilyn runs a completely separate website for new believers, helping them to stand firm in their new faith. Also, Marilyn offers a continuing email series to people who want to go beyond the initial 7 emails: Skip-The-Stress is a second series that helps new believers understand the basics about following God. Finally, there’s another series about the Gospel of John that helps people to know Jesus.
Free Bonus: Click here to download The Complete Sermon Series Graphics Bundle – this free bonus includes 24 total graphics – including title graphics AND blank graphics so you can add your own text